Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Andrew Sullivan



I'm taking a break from this Shakespeare paper that's currently kicking my butt to vent a bit on Andrew Sullivan's talk on campus tonight. I'm tired, irritated, and a bit grouchy, so please, bear with me.I find it really, really annoying that people on this campus--some of whom are even my friends--cannot sit still for an hour and just take in some information. Not everything has to be a debate, and not everyone has to voice their opinion every single time an issue comes up. Andrew Sullivan was not invited to campus to debate Middle Eastern stereotypes (NONE of which he expressed, I might add), nor was he invited to act as a right-wing spokesman on issues such as the Patriot Act. He was invited to talk about same-sex marriage. And that's what he did. Or tried to, until Colby students decided to jump down his throat.I agreed with every single thing Andrew Sullivan said tonight. Including the use of the term Islamo-Fascits. That's exactly what Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Ladin are. Period. Every religion has some people who give their religion a bad name. I'm annoyed that the priests who abused thousands of children are still labeled as Catholic, but they are Catholic, so there's really not much I can do about it, now, is there?I guess I'm just really frustrated and disappointed that everything on this campus has to be up for debate. Andrew Sullivan made so many fantastic, fantastic points...points that I think almost everyone in the audience liked. And then, just as conservatives and liberals were about to (GASP!) agree on something, someone had go change the subject to something totally irrelevant and bring up all those latent political differences and hostilities.On a more selfish note, now I'm totally not looking forward to having breakfast tomorrow, because I know it will turn into a debate. And I am just plain sick and tired of always having to argue.

No comments: