Thursday, June 28, 2007

MOSAIC!



The Mosaic Conference today was pretty fantastic. Karen and I led a workshop on religious pluralism that wasn't particularly well-attended, but still got some good conversation going and a lot of great ideas generated. I felt like I had empowered something. :)And Cornell West tonight was really good, too. I liked his talk a lot; I didn't feel alienated, or accused of racism, or any of those other things that I generally feel when people talk about race on this campus. It was really quite refreshing. I particularly liked that he's a Christian. I feel like religious people on this campus are really the "last minority," and the most over-looked one. It was really nice to hear a speaker, someone who a lot of people are going to listen to and emulate, talk abotu Christianity as a good basis for civil rights movements.So, all in all, it was a good thing. It got real dialogue going, not just anonymous name-calling over the Digest. It got people laughing, clapping, standing. It inspired people. Most of all, it gave me new hope for Colby and Colby students. Just a little. :)

No comments: