Thursday, August 9, 2007

Feelin' good



It's late and coffee is really the only thing keeping me awake at this point, so please excuse me if I babble a bit. Today was way, way busy, but very good nonetheless. Most significantly, tonight was an English department dinner for all the seniors who wrote honors theses. Way fun. I felt really intelligent talking about my thesis--realized how much I actually did learn while I suffered through writing the damn thing. Also had some good, genuine conversation with Laurie, which is always good. Talked about TFA, teaching, grad school and the "endless options" for the future. Conversations with professors in general lately have been making me realize how much my teachers like me. I'm not trying to sound snooty or anything...it just makes me feel really proud and special. Like, I was talking briefly to Carleen in class today and she asked if I was graduating in May. When I said yes, she looked kind of disappointed, and it made me feel good to realize that professors like having me in their classes. It's always good to feel valued, you know. And all the English profs at the dinner tonight talked about how proud they are of all of us who wrote theses; it was just really, really nice to feel like my hard work had paid off and that people appreciated my thoughts and scholarship.I'm going bowling with Ben, Meghan, Miranda and Karen tomorrow night. It'll be good to just relax and have a good time. I know I generally get to do that enough for my mental health, but I don't really think any of them do. It'll be good to see them all having a good time and not stressing about work, school or the future for once.

No comments: